25 Things You Need To Know Before You Turn 25
On the week leading to my 25th birthday, I wanted to find out, have I made these last 25 years the best they could be? As I thought about it more and more, I realized I wasn’t really sure. It was time for me to seek out the expertise of my friends, family and coworkers.
1. Be on time.
- There is nothing worse than someone who has a reputation for always being late.
2. Learn how to keep your plants alive.
3. Quality is more important than quantity.
- This goes for all things at all times. Should you have 50 acquaintances that you can hardly trust or 5 of the best friends you could imagine? Besties. Always. Find quality things to improve your life. The only things you need cheap and in bulk are tampons.
4. Do your own laundry.
5. Get out of your hometown.
- Maybe come back, but for now, leave. See something else.
- This is an absolute priority. I spent last year in Arizona for a work opportunity. I was nervous to leave my friends and family behind but it ended up being the best experience I’ve done to this day. I travelled almost every weekend to a new place; where I ate new food and tried new things. Leaving home gave me a sense of adventure and ignited my free spirit, I learned more about myself in that short time then I have for probably the last 5 years. I think before you turn 25 you don’t truly know yourself (not that we ever completely will) and moving away may be uncomfortable for some, it forces you to make the most of what you can and figure out what in life really makes you the happiest. It was a year I’ll never forget and probably talk about for the rest of my life.
6. Change your own tire….(JK Call AAA)
7. Make a killer cocktail
8. Learn to make something other than pasta.
Recipe: Lemon Garlic Salmon + Asparagus
9. Pick a signature scent and stick to it.
Shop: Acacia Card Case
10. Know who your true friends are and let them know.
- Friends will come and go. Value the one's in your life that know when to make you laugh and when to offer advice. Love them a lot.
11. Surround yourself with people who add value & energy to your life.
12. There are an average 20 million bubbles in a bottle of champagne.
13. Invest in lingerie that makes you feel sexy and confident.
14. Find and stick to a skincare routine
- You’re not 16 anymore. Your 50 year-old self will thank you. Since your skin is the body’s largest organ, it’s important to take care of it in every way you can. You can only do that by knowing which ingredients are safe and healthy for your body...and to put it briefly that could take a lifetime. To break it down, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and antioxidants are ingredients you should look for. Here’s the breakdown.
15. Act like a lady, work like a boss
- Always dress to impress. There’s a time and place for everything and it’s important to find the right balance when it comes to workplace attire. Sure that leather skirt you bought is amazing, but it’s better suited for a night out. Whether your work is casual or formal make sure you are confident in what your are wearing. Confidence is key in more ways than one. “Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have.”
- Ask questions! You will always be a benefit
- Stop with the “does that make sense?” If it doesn’t, let someone ask for clarification. You know what you are talking about, so don’t hesitate. If you didn’t, you probably wouldn’t have spoken up in the first place, duh.
- When you stop learning, you stop being a lady boss. Remember there is always room to grow.
- Food for thought, “Confidence is silent, and insecurities are loud”. We all get down on ourselves, but don’t let your failures overshadow your successes.
16. You don't have to stop asking your mom if everything's going to be OK.
- I bet you didn’t guess...my mom said this one
17. Work on your posture.
18. Know how and when to ask for a raise
- Whether you’re asking for a raise or you’re negotiating for more money when you’ve been offered a job—it’s important to know how. Be sure to keep track of any your milestones and accomplishments so you have specific examples to offer when meeting with your boss.
19. Accept that not every relationship is meant to be.
20. Find strong mentors and emulate their path.
- Whether you want to be the CEO of a multimillion dollar company, small business owner, artist, or stay at home mom, find role models that will lead you in the right direction. Learning from these mentors will likely get you to your goals quicker.
21. Be proud of where you came from.
22. Make your bed in the morning.
- Making your bed every morning, helps you accomplish the first task of the day and it will give you a small sense of pride. Often times it also encourages you to stay productive.
23. Know which fashion pieces to invest in
Shop: Fairmont Wristlet
24. Don’t pinch pennies, split the check evenly.
- Stop worrying about pulling your phone calculator out at the table. Your phone should stay in your bag anyways. If your friends are good they won’t order a $200 bottle of wine without asking and sharing.
25. Be patient with your career.
- Things don’t always come easy or quickly. “Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise” - Frank Ocean It’s not about the short game. For real, long-term success you need to consider more than what your pay stubs look like. And remember, that we all have to start somewhere. Find something you love and work really hard at it. “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” - Maya Angelou
Shop: Acacia Card Case
And that my friends is the list they compiled of 25 things I needed to know before I turned 25.
Leave a comment